WINDSOR, Ont. — Whenever Melanie Hesketh's kids get a hankering for junk food, all she has to do is point to the kitchen counter.
That's where she keeps an unwrapped cheeseburger that turns one on Thursday, and it looks pretty much the same as the day it came off a McDonald's grill.
Mould, maggots, fungi, bacteria — all have avoided the tempting meal that sits in plain view.
"Obviously it makes me wonder why we choose to eat food like this when even bacteria won't eat it," said Ms. Hesketh.
The meat patty has shrunk a bit, but it still looks edible and, with a faint but lingering greasy, leathery odour, she said it "still smells slightly like a burger . . . it hasn't changed much."
The meat I could understand living that long, but no mold on the buns after a year? Quite impressive. Good reason not to eat them.